MLB NETWORK TO CELEBRATE 1980 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES TOMORROW, MAY 22, BEGINNING AT 9:00 A.M. ET
May 21, 2020 – In honor of the 40th anniversary, MLB Network will air 12 hours of programming dedicated to the 1980 World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies tomorrow, May 22, beginning at 9:00 a.m. ET. As part of its programming lineup, MLB Network will air all four of the Phillies’ victories in the 1980 World Series against the Kansas City Royals, including Game 1 (11:30 a.m. EDT), Game 2 (2:00 p.m. EDT), Game 5 (4:00 p.m. EDT) and Game 6 (7:00 p.m. EDT).
Leading up to the World Series action, Baseball’s Seasons: 1980 will begin the day at 9:00 a.m. ET, followed by an edition of MLB Network’s MLB’s 20 Greatest Games at 10:00 a.m. ET, featuring former Phillies shortstop Larry Bowa reliving the Phillies’ extra-innings victory in Game Five of the 1980 NLCS against the Houston Astros with Bob Costas and Tom Verducci. The complete on-air schedule for tomorrow is as follows:
1980 Philadelphia Phillies History Featured Tomorrow, May 22, on MLB Network:
- 9:00 a.m. – Baseball’s Seasons: 1980 – A look back at the 1980 season, including how George Brett, J.R. Richard, Mike Schmidt and Steve Stone led their teams through tight division races.
- 10:00 a.m. – MLB’s 20 Greatest Games: Philadelphia Phillies at Houston Astros, 1980 NLCS Game 5 – Larry Bowa joins Bob Costas and Tom Verducci to relive the Phillies’ extra-innings victory, sending them to the World Series.
- 11:30 a.m. – Kansas City Royals at Philadelphia Phillies, 1980 World Series Game 1 – Bake McBride and Bob Boone each go 3-for-4 with three and two RBI, respectively.
- 2:00 p.m. – Kansas City Royals at Philadelphia Phillies, 1980 World Series Game 2 – Steve Carlton pitches 8.0 innings while striking out 10.
- 4:00 p.m. – Philadelphia Phillies at Kansas City Royals, 1980 World Series Game 5 – Del Unser and Manny Trillo knock in a run each in the top of the 9th inning to put the Phillies ahead and mark the first road win of the series.
- 6:00 p.m. – MLB Tonight – Fran Charles, former Phillie Dan Plesac and Harold Reynolds discuss the latest baseball news and reminisce about the Phillies’ World Series championship in 1980.
- 7:00 p.m. – Kansas City Royals at Philadelphia Phillies, 1980 World Series Game 6 – Steve Carlton throws another gem on the way to clinching the franchise’s first World Series championship.
*All Times EDT
MLB Tonight presented by Camping World continues to air throughout the week, while segments of MLB Central and Intentional Talk presented by Torocontinue to be available every Monday, Wednesday and Friday across MLB Network’s digital platforms. Digital segments of MLB Network’s High Heat with Christopher Russo presented by Liberty Mutual Insurance and MLB Now are featured every Tuesday and Thursday.