Happy Easter everyone!
The Phillies looked very good going into the Rockies to play Colorado for a 4-game series. Well, they dropped the first two games to the Rocks and won last night to try to put themselves into position to at least finish .500 on this series and get out of town with a tie.
Bryce Harper was finally in a position to put the Phils into the win column, and managed to do just that with a decisive 3-run homer that led the Phils to victory by the score of 8-5 last night. Can the Phils do it again with a victory today out in Denver starting at 3:10 PM local time vs the Rockies. The Rockies will welcome in another NL East powerhouse, the Washington Nationals after the Phillies leave town.
From the Rockies Press notes on Charlie Blackmon:
WE BELIEVE YOU NOW
• Charlie Blackmon hit his first leadoff home run of
2019 in yesterday’s game, one game following his
12th-inning, walk-off home run to beat the Phillies
on Friday night … his 31 leadoff home runs are
a franchise record and the most in the National
League since his debut in 2011.
• Blackmon became the first player in Rockies history
to ever hit a leadoff home run one game after
hitting a walk-off home run … he is the first Major
League player to do so since Brett Gardner, who
hit a leadoff home run on July 28, 2017 vs. Tampa
Bay after hitting a walk-off home run in the Yankees’
previous game on July 27.
Blackmon has been a thorn in the Phillies side for years now, and he still is.
Scouting today’s Rockies pitcher, Jon Gray, facing the Phillies:
• Colorado’s 2013 first-round pick (third overall) out of the University of
• Will make his fifth start of the 2019 season, his second at home.
• His 93 starts since the 2015 campaign are the most by any Rockies pitcher
(Chad Bettis, 84).
THE TIME IS HERE
• Secured his first win since Sept. 24, 2018 vs. Philadelphia, his last time out at San
Diego, snapping a four-game winning streak … pitched seven innings and allowed
one run on three hits with three walks and five strikeouts … lone run came on
aWil Myers solo home run in the fifth inning.
• It was his first road win since Sept. 1, 2018, a 4-2 victory at Petco Park
• Has made five career starts against the Phillies, going 2-2 with a 4.11 ERA (30.2
IP, 14 ER) 14 walks and 35 strikeouts over those starts.
• In three career starts against Philadelphia at Coors Field is 2-0 with a 1.77 ERA
(20.1 IP, 4 ER) six walks and 19 strikeouts … made his last start against the
Phillies on Sept. 24, 2018 (7.0,4,1,1,3,7).
KEEP IT IN THE PARK
• Has allowed a home run in 16 consecutive games since July 31, 2018, the longest
streak in franchise history … John Thomson allowed a home run in 13-straight
from May 17-July 23, 2002.
• It is the third-longest streak in Major League history … the Major League
record of 20 games was set by Hall of Famer Bert Blyleven (Sept. 8, 1986-June
• Logged his 13th career double-digit strikeout game on March 31 at Miami …
two shy of tying Pedro Astacio’s club record of 15 games.
• Only pitcher in franchise history to have three games of 12 or more strikeouts
… has three games in his career with double-digit strikeouts and no walks, tied
for the most such games in team history (also: Jorge De La Rosa, Astacio).